How to Stop Someone Parking in Front of Your House

Being a car owner comes with the joys of parking. Whether it’s parking at the shops, on a busy street or outside your home, the rules and regulations aren’t always clear. So, we have put together our top tips on how to handle awkward parking situations and how to resolve the matter peacefully.

London, UK - 10 April, 2019 - A car driving through a London street lined with terraced houses and parked cars around Crouch End area

Do I own the space outside my home? 

Unfortunately, there is no law to say only you have the right to park outside your own home. As long as you are not breaking any laws in the Highway Code, car owners are free to park where they want.

There is no time limit on how long a car can park on the road as long as they are taxed, insured and not breaching any parking regulations. There is however one exception. If the vehicle is thought to have been abandoned, it can be reported to the police who will potentially remove it.

Abandoned Vehicles

According to the Met Police, an abandoned vehicle is one that has not moved or been attended to for a long period of time.

Signs a vehicle could be abandoned:

  • Broken windows or flat tyres
  • Significant damage
  • Missing number plates
  • Broken or loose ignition.

If you find an abandoned vehicle, you can report it here.

Residential Permits

Some areas in the UK have resident only permits to stop people who do not live on the street, parking there. Permits are most often found in busy cities, as it can be difficult for residents to park their vehicles. If you live on a busy road with no drive, it can be difficult to keep a parking space for yourself. It is illegal to create an obstruction in order to keep the space, for example placing cones.

Designated Parking Spaces

Designated parking spaces are commonly found at apartment complexes or on estates with limited parking. They are usually identified by a number. If someone has parked in your designated parking space without your permission, our best advice is to resolve the issue calmly. If you cannot speak to the driver, leave a polite note on the vehicle, asking them not to park there.

What to do when someone blocks access to my home? 

Sadly, there is not much that can be done in the eyes of the law on this issue. However, if you have a dropped kerb outside your home, and someone parks there, they are breaching the Highway Code. The Highway Code states you should not park ‘where the kerb has been lowered to help wheelchair users and mobility vehicles’.

If someone has blocked access to your home with their vehicle, there are a couple of things you can do.

  • Write a polite note
    • If someone is parking outside your property on a regular basis, you should approach them in a calm and amicable manner. Explain the reasons why you need to park outside your home. If you cannot speak to them directly, leave a polite note on their vehicle, explaining why you do not want them to park in front of your house.
  • Contact the police
    • Police action can be taken if the vehicle is preventing you from getting off your own driveway. You can report this as anti-social behaviour to your local police force.

What to do if someone parks on your drive?

If you return home to unexpectedly find a stranger’s car on your driveway without your permission, they are trespassing. Unfortunately, trespassing is not a criminal offence, however, it is a civil matter, so you can contact the police. The police may not follow the report up as it is only a civil offence; however, they may send an officer to investigate. If it happens regularly with the same driver, you can seek advice from Citizens Advice, however, it’s worth talking calmly with the driver first.

Illegal Car Parking

If you find a vehicle that is parked:

  • Dangerously
  • Somewhere that would prevent emergency services from accessing.
  • On zig zag lines

You can report it to the police as anti-social behaviour.

  • Anywhere that would obstruct emergency services
  • On a pedestrian crossing
  • In a taxi bay, bus or tram stop
  • Over a dropped kerb
  • In spaces researched by Blue Badge holders (unless entitled to do so)

You can report this to your local council. 

Ready to book your repair?
Ready to book your repair?
You're just a few short steps away from fixing that damage!
Get a Free Estimate
Keep me updated on news & offers

Our affiliates & accreditation
  • 3M
  • BVRLA Associate
  • IMI Approved Centre
  • ISO 9001 Registered
  • ISO 14001 Registered
  • PPG
  • Supagard
  • National Body Repair Association
Go back to the top