The summer holidays are now only a day-dream away and thousands of people in the UK will be escaping to sunnier climes in an attempt to avoid the unpredictable British weather. Depending on what kind of holiday you have planned for the summer, you may have arranged day trips or may be travelling to a remote villa in some glamorous location which requires a car – either way you have most likely considered hiring a car abroad. But how can you be sure you’re getting a good deal? It can be easy to get ripped off and so we have some tips for ensuring you get the best deal possible.
- Book online before-hand – The way to get the best deal is by booking your car rental before you actually go away. You will be more limited with choice if you book on arrival and if you’re looking on the internet you can compare prices and make sure you’re getting the best deal available.
- Research companies and read reviews – Finding car hire companies is all well and good, but how can you be sure they’re reputable? Read reviews in order to ascertain whether a company has a good reputation –ABTA approved companies give you protection on your money.
- Check for damage to the vehicle – Make sure you scan the car thoroughly for any existing damage. If there are scratches or any other damage to the car at the end, you will be the one to foot the bill if the damage was not already noted.
- Check fuel deals – It’s important to understand the car rental company’s policy on fuel as they vary greatly. Some companies will allow you to pay for the car to come with a full tank of fuel, others will come completely empty and others will come full but expect you to refill before returning the car. Check when picking up the car, at which time it’s also worth asking if there are any special deals on at the moment. When traveling out of season, they may throw something extra in or upgrade you for free.
- Are you ready to drive abroad yourself? – Make sure you’re personally prepared when going on holiday. Most companies ask for the paper part of your driving license as well as the card and some countries have different requirements for driving in that country. Being ill prepared could cost you extra, or mean you won’t be able to rent a car at all.
We hope these tips help you as you get ready for your summer holiday. Whether you’re going away abroad or in this country – have a great time!