This year an estimated seven million Brits will use their cars to transport themselves on their annual summer holiday, and two million of those people will be taking them abroad.
"A lot of people don't realise that extended periods of intense heat and high levels of the sun's harmful UV light can do more damage to a car than freezing weather conditions,” ChipsAway CEO, Tim Harris, warns. “The best thing to do before a summer holiday is to check your car is in good working order and ready for the long drive.”
There can be a lot to remember, so we’ve put together some top tips to help you stay safe on holiday this summer;
- Get your car ready– Make sure your car is ready for long journeys; get European breakdown cover, ensure your insurance covers you sufficiently, check your water, oil, tyres, engine, windscreen wipers and paintwork before you go. It’s normally best to get a service so you can be sure your car is in working order.
- Get yourself ready– You need to ensure you’re prepared for a long drive. The usual sensible driving rules apply; don’t drive when tired and make sure you have properly mapped out your journey before you leave. It’s also beneficial to keep a travel box with you, including blankets, water, snacks, sunglasses and a first aid kit.
- If you are driving abroad, familiarise yourself with local driving regulations– For example, did you know that in Spain, if you wear glasses for driving, you must carry a spare pair in your car at all times? And in France, police impose on the spot fines for speeding, sometimes only payable by the exact cash amount? It’s well worth reading up on the country you’re visiting.
- Keep the kids entertained– One of the biggest causes of accidents during the summer, is people being distracted whilst driving. If the children are bored and whingey, they are more likely to distract you from the road. Make sure you include some books (including audio books), music and films to keep them busy during the trip.
- Do the same when you get back– Too many people do all of the necessary checks before they go away – but not when they return home. Ensure you recheck everything from tyres to paintwork as long trips can mean a lot of wear and tear on your car.
Call in the experts from ChipsAway to make sure your car is ready for the summer sun and tick one more thing off your checklist.